I love banana loaf, but have found it difficult to create a recipe that is grain free, sugar free, and does not contain any form of corn/maize (important for Da Son).
It’s taken a fair bit of experimentation but I think I finally have a winner.
BIG PLUS: It got a thumbs-up from Da Kids, who showed fantastic willpower to save some for school the next day.
I didn’t take step-by-step photographs and will add them in when I bake this again.
Meanwhile, try this and enjoy!
Delicious grain free, sugar free banana loaf
** Preheat your oven to 180°C**
Mash & Mix:
* 3 small bananas (or two large ones)
* about a quarter cup of finely chopped fresh dates (or, 2 tbsp xylotol)
* 4 large eggs
Sift in & mix well:
* 2 cups almond meal (If you can’t find ground almonds, pop them into your coffee grinder and blitz ’em until you have a fine flour-like consistency
* 1 cup coconut meal (process dried coconut flakes in your coffee grinder)
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
* 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla essence (you can also use vanilla pod to keep things fresh, but it can get expensive)
* OPTIONAL: A handful chopped pecan nuts (or sunflower seeds… whatever takes your fancy)
Once the batter is mixed well, pour it into a loaf tin that is lined with greased baking paper, and bake for approx 45 – 50 minutes, or when your testing skewer comes out clean when inserted.
Let it cool, slice and enjoy.
Wait… what the hell – cut it immediately and let fresh butter melt onto your slice. Inhale that beautiful aroma. Then stuff your face.